Permalinks will alter the URL or Web Address of your Webpage. A WordPress Permalink will change the address from a search engine unfriendly address to a more compatible address i.e.
Not only is the Bottom address is full of keywords taken from the page title it no longer contains a question mark, The ? confuses some search engines. Your page address should contain important Keywords and not cryptic code
You really should turn this feature on before you start making your site, that way any pages you create will start out with the correct Google friendly naming convention.
- Type in your web address to see your newly built but empty WordPress Website
- Here you can see the temporary website I created for this Word Press Tutorial, BeersandBoots.com will be/is a site about ales, walking and geocachingg
- To get to your WordPress Dashboard Login Page, you need to append the following onto the end of your web address: /wp-admin
- Enter your User Name and Password, if you have forgotten this then look at the email you asked the Fantastico installer to send to you 🙂
- You are now in the WordPress Dashboard, the command centre for your new website, Please click Settings
- Now click the Permalink option on the left hand side of the WordPress Dashboard
- You are given examples of how WordPress can display your web address, We are going to use a better custom option. Click the Radio Button for Custom Structure
- now add the following text into the text box: /%postname%/
- Click the Save Changes Button
- Yay, Well done 🙂 you have altered your website for the first time 🙂 and your Webpage addresses will more search engine friendly. Click on the Dashboard Option at the top to return to the main Dashboard page.